Most of the customizations apply to the software in general. Such
things as picture options, abstract options, and specimen list options are
set once for the entire software.
There are a few exceptions to this
rule. For the most part these are cultural preferences. They
apply to the currently open database only.
The customizations that are database dependent are:
- Temperature scale: Fahrenheit or Celsius
- Measurement system: U.S. Customary units or metric units
- Color values: RHS Colour Chart numbers or popular color names
- Distribution range: Country codes, provinces, territories, states or counties
- Next specimen number: the next number to assign to a new specimen entry
For more articles in the "The not so obvious . . ." series see
Index of "not so obvious" things you should know